Knowledgebase: Email Help
How do I set up Outlook 2007 for POP3 or IMAP4 access to my e-mail account?
Posted by kumar, Last modified by on 06 March 2011 11:42 AM
1. Open Outlook. The Account Settings dialog box will open the first time you open Outlook. If the Account Settings dialog box doesn't open when you first open Outlook, do the following:
1. On the Tools menu, click Account Settings.
2. In the Account Settings dialog box, on the E-mail tab, click New.
2. On the Choose E-mail Service page, make sure Microsoft Exchange, POP, IMAP, or HTTP is selected, and then click Next.
3. On the Auto Account Setup page, at the bottom of the page, click the Manually configure server settings or additional server types check box.
4. Click Internet E-mail, and then click Next.
5. Provide the following information on the Internet E-mail Settings page.
Under User Information:
1. In the Your Name box, enter the name you want users to see when you send e-mail from this account.
2. In the E-mail Address box, enter your e-mail address.
Under Server Information:
1. Under Account Type, select IMAP or POP3. Consider using IMAP.
2. In the Incoming mail server box, enter the IMAP or POP server name. For information about how to find your incoming POP3 or IMAP4 server name, see the "What else do I need to know?" section later in this topic.
3. In the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) box, enter the SMTP server name. For information about how to find your outgoing SMTP server name, see the "What else do I need to know?" section later in this topic.
Under Logon Information:
1. In the User Name box, enter your e-mail address.
2. In the Password box, enter your password. If you want Outlook to remember your password, make sure the check box next to Remember password is selected.
6. At the lower-right side of the page, click More Settings, and then fill in the Internet E-Mail Settings dialog box as follows:
On the Outgoing Server tab, select My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.
On the Advanced tab:
1. Under Incoming server (IMAP), or Incoming server (POP3), next to Use the following type of encrypted connection, select SSL in the drop-down box.
2. Under Outgoing server (SMTP), next to Use the following type of encrypted connection, select TLS, and then click OK.
3. If you're using POP3 and you want to keep a copy of your messages on the server, under Delivery, click Leave a copy of messages on the server. If you don't select this option, all messages will be removed from the server and stored locally on your computer.
7. On the Add New E-mail Settings page, click Next.
8. On the Congratulations page, click Finish. Close the Account Settings dialog box.
9. On the Account Settings page, click Close.
10. If you're using IMAP4, a message appears that asks you if you want to download folders for the mail server that you added. Click Yes. Use the Outlook 2007 user interface to select which folders to synchronize between the server and your local computer, and then click OK.